The LSSICE applies to any kind of file or device that is downloaded to the terminal equipment of a user in order to store data that can be updated and retrieved by the entity responsible for its installation. A cookie is one of those files of generalized use that we will generically call cookies.
Cookies are small text files sent to a browser from a web server to record user activity on a website so that this information can be retrieved later when browsing the different pages connected to the server that installed them.
Cookies usually store information of a technical nature, personal preferences, content personalization, usage statistics, links to social networks, access to user accounts, etc.
Types of cookies
Below is a classification of cookies according to a series of categories. However, it is necessary to take into account that the same cookie may be included in more than one category.According to the entity that manages them
- Own Cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through the cookies.
In the event that the cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself but the information collected through these is managed by a third party, they are not considered own cookies.
According to the period of time that they remain activated
According to the period of time they remain activated in the terminal equipment we can distinguish:
- Session Cookies: These are a type of cookies designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that is only of interest to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g. a list of products purchased).
- Persistent cookies: These are a type of cookie in which the data remains stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the party responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
According to their purpose
Depending on the purpose for which the data obtained through cookies are processed, we can distinguish between:
- Technical Cookies: These are those that allow the user to navigate through a website, platform or application and the use of the different options or services it exist as, for example, control traffic and data communication, identify the session, access parts of restricted access, remember the elements that make up an order, make the buying process of an order, make the application for registration or participation in an event, use security features while browsing, store content for broadcast video or sound or share content via social networks.
- Customization Cookies: These are those that allow the user to access the service with some general characteristics predefined according to a series of criteria in the user’s terminal such as the language, the type of browser through which you access the service, the locale from which you access the service, etc..
- Analysis Cookies: These are those that allow the person responsible for them, monitoring and analyzing the behavior of users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used in the measurement of the activity of the websites, application or platform and for the elaboration of navigation profiles of the users of such sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements based on the analysis of the usage data of the users of the service.
- Advertising Cookies: These are those that allow the management, in the most effective way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the editor has included on a website, application or platform from which it provides the requested service based on criteria such as the edited content or the frequency at which the ads are displayed.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: These are those that allow the management, in the most effective way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the publisher has included on a web page, application or platform from which it provides the requested service. These cookies store information on user behavior obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to display advertising based on the same.
- How to disable cookies in the main web browsers
- Internet Explorer
- What happens if you do not accept cookies
- Refusing cookies may prevent access to personalized content and services.